Thank You For Choosing Budget Blinds Of North County San Diego
Thank you for the opportunity to help you with your window covering project. We hope you enjoyed working with us as much as we enjoyed working with you. Your project was treated like our own; we want to make sure that you
are satisfied long after installation.
Budget Blinds of North County San Diego is an independently owned and operated small business but at the same time part of a very large and successful franchise system. Budget Blinds is the #1 custom window covering company in North America. Combining competitive discounts with industry best warranties and customer aftercare programs ensure you, your family, and your friends get the best value in window coverings around.
Feel free to call us anytime. We’ve got you covered - no questions asked! Thank you for your business!
Navigate our customer portal page for helpful links, exclusive deals, warranty information, and more!
Cleaning Tips & Tricks for Window Coverings
Window coverings enhance the beauty and style of your home while providing privacy and protection from the sun. But what if they’re dusty or, worse still, grimy or have greasy fingerprints all over them? Just like you need to clean your windows to keep the sun shining through, we recommend cleaning window treatments to keep them at their best. So how often do you need to clean them?
Aim for a deep clean every three or six months, although it varies depending on whether you have pets and/or children who tend to touch them with their oh-so-cute but sticky fingers that are, at times, even dipped in paint! The cleaning frequency really depends on how dirty your window coverings get over time.
While cleaning your window coverings may not be the ideal way to spend your weekend, if you dust your window treatments every time you clean your house, you’ll need to deep clean them less frequently, possibly once every six months. Whether you’re cleaning shades and/or curtains or blinds and shutters we’ve put together some easy but effective cleaning tips based on the type of window treatments to prevent damage from excessively harsh cleaning ingredients or improper handling. So, go on…blast your favorite music and prepare to get your hands dirty!
Window Coverings -Keep Them Clean and Bright
All types of window treatments require regular cleaning to prevent dust and dirt buildup. Your window coverings will look better and last longer.
How to care for your window treatments.
- Close blinds and shutters as flat as they go.
- Holding the bottom of the blind in one hand, lightly wipe across each slat with a feather duster or dry cloth (a microfiber cloth or even an acrylic or polyester sock works just fine). Alternatively, you may use a vacuum with a brush attachment and a low-suction setting to gently remove the dust and dirt.
- Start from the top as dust is bound to loosen and settle on the lower slats or windowsill as you wipe.
- Work your way down until you’ve dusted all slats clean.
- Rotate the slats to make the other side face you so you can repeat the dusting process.
- Make sure to clean the windowsill and hanging apparatus like cords or wand, if any.
- For a final anti-dust finish, repeat the whole process with a dryer sheet as it works magically to repel dust.
- Wipe blinds with a cloth dampened in a 50/50 water/white vinegar solution. Vinegar is a handy kitchen ingredient that is inexpensive and an efficient cleaning agent owing to its antimicrobial properties. Make sure you use a damp and not wet cloth as wood can get warped if it gets too wet.
- Wipe with a clean, damp cloth to remove the vinegar to avoid warping or discoloring.
- Lastly, wipe with a dry cloth immediately.
- Warning -- Consult the blinds manual or your local Budget Blinds consultant for any special cleaning care instructions
- Lower the shades completely.
- Using a vacuum with a soft brush attachment and a low setting, start from the top, as dust from the top may settle on the lower parts.
- Vacuum the backside of the shade as well.
- For stubborn stains, use stain remover on the affected area. Consult the manual or your local Budget Blinds consultant for special care instructions before using stain remover, and test first on a hidden seam.
- Let the fabric shade air dry
- Remove dowels from flat shades. You may de-thread and remove attached strings or leave them as they are.
- Wash shades according to fabric instructions and let them air dry (don’t put them in the dryer to avoid shrinkage).
- Remove wrinkles by pressing or steaming.
- Restring and re-hang the shades.
- Get them dry cleaned and let the dry cleaner know the fabric content and if you’ve used any chemical spot removers on them.
- First, lightly dust with a dry cotton cloth.
- Special care needs to be taken with wood blinds as wood may easily warp or discolor with harsh ingredients. Use lemon oil or a good-quality wood polish instead of harsh chemicals to protect the wood.
- It’s important to not get wood blinds or shutters wet. Therefore, wipe blinds with a clean cotton cloth that is lightly sprayed with wood polish or lemon oil.
- Flip the louvers to clean the other side.
- Finish by lightly wiping the blinds with a dry, clean cloth to absorb excess product.
It’s slightly more challenging to clean vertical blinds. Especially if they are floor-to-ceiling, the process becomes even more difficult. However, an easy cleaning approach to dust vertical blinds would be to simply roll a lint roller over them, to remove the excess dirt.
Depending on whether your vertical blinds are made of aluminum, vinyl, or fabric, you can use one of the following methods for a deep clean:
- First, dust both sides with a dry cloth, vacuum with a brush attachment on a low setting or use a lint roller. Make sure you start from the top and work your way to the bottom for each slat.
- Next, prepare for a deep clean by assembling a clean cloth and an all-purpose spray cleaner or a mixture of liquid dish soap and water.
- Vinyl or aluminum blinds can be washed with soapy water and a sponge without taking them down.
- Just be sure to place towels under the blinds to catch drips to avoid a wet carpet or slippery floor.
- After washing each slat down its full length and on both sides, rinse the slats and wipe dry with a clean cloth.
- Lightly dust both sides with a clean and dry cloth or sock, or a vacuum with an upholstery attachment and a low setting.
- For heavily-soiled vertical fabric blinds, take down the vane and lay it on a flat surface.
- Clean with a sponge and a mixture of warm water and mild detergent or use a dry fabric cleaner.
- Be sure to blot dry to avoid patches or discoloration.
- Warning – Do not dry clean or immerse vertical fabric blinds in water.
- Unsnap the fabric from the vanes to wash sheer fabric vertical blinds.
- It’s recommended to wash using a mild detergent and a gentle cycle.
- Let them air dry instead of placing in the dryer.
- To remove wrinkles, press or steam on a low setting.
- Warning – to prevent damage, do not steam or iron the sheer fabric blinds while they’re attached to the vanes.
Exterior shutters are likely to get quite dirty from the dust and pollution outside. But the good news is that these can be washed with a brush and mop. Follow these steps to keep your exterior shutters looking like new.
- Close the shutters tight and brush off the loose dirt.
- Scrub the shutters using a brush and a solution of warm water and liquid dish soap. Alternatively, you may use a cloth dipped in the cleaning solution.
- Use a toothbrush dipped in the solution to deep clean the dirt in hard-to-reach cracks and crevices.
- Rinse the shutters with a garden hose or a clean cloth dipped in plain water before the soapy water dries.
- Wipe the shutters dry with a clean and dry cloth, sock, or microfiber mop.
- Warning – It’s highly recommended to use a helper if you’re trying to reach high exterior shutters with a ladder.
At Budget Blinds, we do not recommend dry cleaning your drapes and curtains as it’s likely to shrink them. For the best care for your draperies, curtains, and valances, we recommend the following:
- Regularly vacuum your draperies with a brush or upholstery attachment on a low setting to keep the dust off so dirt does not accumulate.
- For washable fabrics, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It’s best to always use a gentle cycle, mild detergent, and cold water to prevent damage or shrinkage.
- Warnings – Many fabrics, though washable, are not meant to be placed in the dryer. It’s best to let them air dry. To remove stubborn wrinkles, iron while still damp. Before washing lined drapery, check whether both lining and face fabric are washable. Additionally, while hiring a professional cleaner for draperies is a good idea, be sure to inform them of the fabric content along with any special care instructions.
Budget Blinds For All Your Window Covering Needs
We hope you found our cleanings tips and tricks helpful for maintaining your window treatments. However, if you’re too pressed for time to clean and repair blinds or your window coverings are beyond the cleaning stage, let Budget Blinds help you pick easy to clean window treatments that are beautiful and low maintenance while they instantly elevate your home’s appearance.
Our Budget Blinds consultation experts are skilled in recommending window treatments that meet your minimum care requirements and exceptional style. They can assist you in custom-matching window coverings to your unique home décor and functionality needs. Go ahead and schedule a complimentary in-home consultation!
We've Got You Covered with Our Exclusive No Questions Asked Warranty
In addition to our generous manufacturer warranties, we will provide you a one-time replacement within the first five years for each of your window coverings if you, your family, or friends damage them, no questions asked! This limited warranty program is available to customers who purchase Budget Blinds Signature Series®, Enlightened Styles®, PureVu®, Inspired Shades®, Lafayette, and Horizons products.
5-YEAR “NO QUESTIONS ASKED” WARRANTY - OUR OBLIGATION TO YOU: If, for any reason, within 5 years from the date of purchase, your product should be damaged or become inoperable after the point of installation, the manufacturer will provide a one-time “No Questions Asked,” repair or replacement of the product free of charge (labor charges will apply). If your product is replaced, the replacement will be of the same product in the same size and color. This warranty is provided to the original purchaser and for the original window opening only.
MANUFACTURER’S LIMITED–LIFETIME WARRANTY - OUR OBLIGATION TO YOU: Our manufacturers warrant your Budget Blinds products to be free from original defects in materials or workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the product. Under the Limited-Lifetime Warranty, the obligations of the manufacturer are limited to the repair or replacement of parts or product found to be defective. All motorization components come with a five-year warranty only. The manufacturer is not responsible for shipping costs or labor costs, for measuring and taking the product down or reinstalling the product. If repairs are made under this warranty, the repairs will be made with like or similar parts.
Refer A Friend and Earn!
As a customer of Budget Blinds of North County San Diego, you can earn cash for just referring a friend to us! Simply fill out the postcard given at job completion, give to a friend, and earn! Or you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly.