Building specially adapted, mortgage-free homes for severely injured post-9/11 Veterans has been the mission of Homes For Our Troops (HFOT) since 2004. These homes provide independence and safety for Veterans who experienced catastrophic injuries such as amputations, paralysis, burns, loss of sight or hearing, PTSD, and traumatic brain injury due to their military service. Budget Blinds® became a corporate sponsor of HFOT in 2014 and the exclusive supplier of window coverings for the homes. Supported by our manufacturing partner, Springs Window Fashions who donates the blinds, we install custom window blinds for each house built. It’s an honor and a privilege to participate in these forever homes, a tangible way to say, “Thank you for your service and sacrifice.”
Special adaptations make every area of the home wheelchair accessible and barrier-free to facilitate safe and independent living for injured Veterans
A partnership of the heart
Budget Blinds understands the value of a comfortable home and strives to enhance our customers’ lives with window treatments that add beauty, convenience, and value. Additionally, Veteran support has long been a part of the Budget Blinds culture through offering discounts to qualified Veterans, enabling them to become independent franchise business owners to build financial security. Becoming a corporate sponsor of HFOT was a natural fit with their all-out commitment to Veterans and the focus of placing them into life-changing homes:
- The HFOT mission is to build and donate specially adapted custom homes nationwide for severely injured post-9/11 Veterans, to enable them to rebuild their lives.
- They have never wavered in their mission, with 330 homes completed to date and 76 ongoing projects at various stages of completion, from groundbreakings to scheduled Key Ceremony presentations.
- The impact of the accessible homes for injured veterans is tremendous. Living in a safe and stable environment makes lifelong differences for injured Veterans and their families.
- HFOT isone of the top-rated Veterans charities and takes pride in being good stewards of donors’ dollars with nearly 90 cents out of every dollar going directly to program services supporting Veterans.
- Since founded in 2004, HFOT has received the highest possible rating of four stars from Charity Navigator and has an A rating with Charity Watch. HFOT is also a platinum-level GuideStar participant, demonstrating its commitment to transparency, and meeting all 20 criteria of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance.
- HFOT builds homes across the country, wherever the Veteran chooses to live, and the Budget Blinds’ nationwide network of independent franchise business owners means we are always exactly where we need to be—the “feet on the ground”—measuring and installing the blinds whenever a home is built.
Window blinds add beauty, comfort, and convenience
Our exclusive Signature Series® faux wood blinds provide a finishing touch that gives comfort and convenience with light and privacy control in every room. Universal appeal and versatility make white faux wood blinds the ideal solution for the HFOT homes since their polymer construction makes them compatible with every climate and area of the country, and UVA inhibitors prevent cracking, chipping, peeling, and yellowing.
Franchise owners custom-fit and professionally install the blinds to ensure years of worry-free functionality in every home
- Blinds provide timeless, classic style that can be personalized with drapery panels or valances.
- Faux wood blinds give the beauty of real wood with moisture-resistant qualities that make them appropriate for every room, even kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms where humidity can be a problem.
- In the master bath, one-touch-control motorized blinds provide additional safety by eliminating the need to reach across the tub to adjust the blinds.
- Window blinds increase energy efficiency in the home by helping reduce heat gain in summer and keeping out cold air in winter, saving on energy bills year-round.
Now, meet the latest recipient of a life-changing, forever home in the beautiful state of Colorado.
Navy Hospital Corpsman Joel Booth
Navy NH Joel Booth grew up in a military family, a father who was a Black Hawk pilot for 30 years, a cousin who went to West Point, and a brother who also served. He knew a military career was for him too, being part of something bigger than himself. He chose a medical specialty and was attached to a Marine unit deployed to Afghanistan 2011. He loved the brotherhood of his fellow comrades and enjoyed the challenge of proving himself out in the field. But his first deployment was to be his last, he stepped on an improvised explosive device (IED) while on patrol and the resultant injuries and broken bones in his right foot necessitated the eventual amputation of his leg. After medically retiring, Joel worked as a government contractor in Afghanistan in 2015 to continue serving his country.
His new specially adapted, mortgage-free home in Morrison, Colorado, will be a whole new world for Joel and his young daughter, Adyline. With no barriers in the new home, Joel can quickly and easily take care of tasks like cooking and laundry and be able to care for Adyline anywhere in the house from his wheelchair. His quality of life will improve with regained independence, plus his family won’t have to worry about his and his daughter’s safety. Colorado affords the outdoor activities that Joel loves, including camping, hiking, snowboarding, and rock climbing.
He currently owns his own consulting company and is the Global Supply Chain and Logistics Director. He plans to go back to college and become more involved with The Range of Motion Project (ROMP), a nonprofit that provides high-quality prosthetic care to underserved populations. Joel is grateful to HFOT’s donors and supporters for taking care of him and his family. “I cannot express how honored I am to even be considered for this type of life-changing gift.”
Cutting the ribbon to enter his new home and receive the keys is the highlight of Key Ceremony Day and the start of a brighter future
For Charles and Sally Lane, franchise owners of Budget Blinds of Littleton-Morrison, this is the second HFOT home built in their territory. They welcomed the opportunity to again provide their time and expertise to ensure professional measuring and installation of the faux wood blinds throughout Joel’s home. “We are humbled and proud to have been a part of this process in recognition of Joel’s sacrifice in the service of our country. HFOT is amazing and this house, now a home, will change the lives of Joel and his beautiful family. We are so proud of our Colorado Veteran and his sacrifices for us. Welcome Home, Joel!”
Hear Joel share his story by clicking here.
Get back to nature with eco-friendly window coverings
Natural elements and textures in interior design are very on-trend in 2022, and eco-friendly window treatments easily bring a bit of nature into your home. Our woven wood shades, made from 100% organic materials, including bamboo, jute, rattan, grasses, and natural woods impart a craftsman-like, ethnic vibe in any room. Semi-transparent woven wood shades can be paired with liners for the ultimate in privacy and light control along with multiple operating styles like top-down/bottom-up, cordless, and motorized window coverings.
Woven wood shades are available in a wide range of colors from soft whites to vibrant reds, blues, and greens
Call 866-525-8054 or go online to www.budgetblinds.com to schedule a free, in-home or virtual* consultation with a Design Consultant near you. Spend some time exploring our online Design Guide and begin to see the possibilities!
- To make a donation to HFOT, visit We Proudly Support Our Troops.
- Stay current with all that HFOT is doing by reading the March Foundations newsletter, The Key to Independence!
- Check out all the ways you can support the mission of HFOT from personal volunteering to hosting a fundraising event.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at every location