Oddly shaped windows are often quite striking. Providing homes with that gorgeous flair and unique look that many people would love to have. Yet, it may be more challenging for those who have to maintain these unusually shaped windows than many people realize.
Oddly sized and shaped windows are tricky to cover, but when it comes to covering these windows, the options are often quite limited. Fortunately, it does not have to be impossible. With a little creativity, the advice of a professional, and an understanding of what these windows need, you can have the window treatments you have always dreamed of having.
How Do You Cover an Odd-Shaped Window?
Working with odd-shaped windows may seem like a daunting task. But when you know how to tackle this unique problem, it does not have to be as challenging as it may seem. When dealing with these non-standard windows, it is best to consult a window covering professional who has the expertise and experience to suggest solutions. This way, you can maximize your options, ensure that the design flows throughout your home, and save time and money in the long run. Some of the best ways to cover these unconventional-looking windows are:
- Shutters for Odd Shaped Windows: Customized shutters that fit your specific window can be the perfect solution to your oddly shaped problem. Shutters can be custom made into circles, arches, and even octagons.
- Blinds for Angled Windows Blinds can be custom made with angled tops. The top portion of the blind in the triangle will only tilt. When the blind is raised it will raise to the bottom of the triangle meaning that the triangle area will always be covered by the blind slats. However, to make sure this works, you will need to call in professionals who can measure your window and get you the most accurate estimation. This will also make sure that the blinds will be installed correctly and that they fit your unique situation.
- Curtains for Odd Shaped Windows: Adding curtains is not only a great and simple way to bring color and style into your house, but they are also an extremely versatile addition to your oddly shaped windows. Not sure how these curtains will work? Let’s say you have large arched windows. With the addition of curtains and decorative rods, you can hang the curtains above the arch bringing a majestic feel to your windows. If, for instance, you are simply looking to enhance the window instead of covering it, you can add custom stationary drapery panels or drape the arch with a scarf valance following the shape of the window.
- Cellular Shades in Odd Shapes: Cellular shades come in a wide range of shapes including arches and triangles. They are available in a wide array of colors and textures making them a stylish choice for your oddly-shaped windows. Plus, their honeycomb design makes them a very energy-efficient choice.
Typically, bay windows, arched windows, and skylights are the three most common types of oddly shaped windows and because each of these windows has its own unique complications and characteristics, they require distinctive solutions to ensure that the window treatments fit their challenging shape.
What is the Best Window Treatment for Large Windows?
Homes with large windows are not only stunning, but they allow the house to connect with nature and bring in some much-needed light for the family to bask in all year long. Yet, with these large windows come many challenges, especially trying to find the best type of window treatments that can fit their size. However, there are several ways to alleviate this problem:
- Vertical Blinds: These blinds are an excellent solution for expansive windows. They can not only filter harsh sunlight, but vertical blinds can also provide extra privacy for the home.
- Vertical Cellular Shades: Remember, when you are covering a large window, you need to make sure that the blinds are able to cover the expanse. However, just because you need expansive window treatments, they do not need to be heavy. Shades such as cellular shades are incredibly lightweight and an ideal option for large windows.
- Draperies: Covering large windows does not need to be boring. In fact, it can be quite stylish. Draperies are a great way to frame a window and add vibrant colors and patterns to the home. If you want to try a trending look, try layering your window treatments with dual sheer shades or roller shades and stationery drapery panels.
How Do You Blackout an Odd-Shaped Window?
Standard sized windows are often relatively easy to blackout. Many times, blackout curtains are all that is needed to effectively and completely blackout the room. Unfortunately, not all windows come in a standard size, and sometimes these unconventional shapes can cause numerous issues for those looking to blackout these unique windows. However, this does not mean you do not have options. The next time you are trying to blackout your oddly shaped windows, consider using:
- Roller Shades or Blackout Cellular Shades: These are perfect for those windows that are taller than your standard window size.
- Blackout Film: This film is not only flexible but can easily stick to your window, no matter the shape.
- Customize Fixed Blackout Shades: These shades are an ideal blackout option because they can fit your distinctive window and provide you the darkness you want. These are fixed shades and cannot be opened and closed but can be made to have a decorative look with the addition of a Tableaux design.
Find the Best Window Treatment for Your Windows
When your home has oddly sized windows, it may seem like a daunting process to make them look good while having them meet your individual needs. But it indeed does not have to be as cumbersome as you may think. When you partner with the professionals, you can quickly and easily get the design and solution your home and oddly shaped windows need.
Budget Blinds not only offers clients a wide range of window treatments, but it can be just what you require to ensure your unique shaped windows get the care they deserve while fitting within your budget and style. Do not wait any longer. Schedule a free consultation today and let us help you get the look you have always wanted.