With their three popular home improvement shows airing on the W Network in Canada, Property Brothers, Buying and Selling and Brother vs. Brother, Jonathan and Drew have helped hundreds of families live through renovations to find their ultimate dream homes. Now, it’s their turn. They are their own clients on this one and, just like everyone else, they were not spared the squabbles over design disagreements, time delays, and the sticker shock of unplanned costs as they raced to finish before the big Scott Family Reunion.
Already affiliated with the brothers through the Buying and Selling series by supplying window treatments for homes in seasons two and three, Budget Blinds® came onboard to provide innovative, custom window coverings for their personal home. Its sister brand at Home Franchise Concepts (HFC), Tailored Living®, provided custom closet organization systems, garage cabinets and garage flooring.
A Major Transformation
Jonathan and Drew described the “before” house as “outdated décor, empty and blank with a barren backyard.” Putting their combined design senses into high gear, they incorporated the family’s love of movies, fun, togetherness and gracious outdoor living to create the ultimate destination home. Jonathan revealed that, “My favorite spaces to do are outdoor living spaces and this has every component I could want in my yard.” This sentiment resulted in a backyard that is an extension of both the main house and the guest house, unifying them in an over-the-top, luxurious resort area with a strong focus on play:
- Salt water infinity pool with built-in seating areas and rocking lounge chairs
- Hot tub to accommodate 10 people
- Pool house with full kitchen and swim-up bar
- Fire pit and top-of-the-line barbeque that can cook 35 steaks at a time
- 15’ drop-down movie screen that’s wind and earthquake proof for outdoor movies
- Giant commercial-grade Splashtacular water slide, 91.66’ long and 15’ high
- Putting green (requiring total redesign by Drew)
- Tiled basketball court with imbedded quote: “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
- Outside dining area and see-through fireplace
- Lavish doggie park for Gracie and Stewie (Jonathan’s dogs) with synthetic turf, (real) palm trees, and lounge chairs
- Main house game room loft with custom-made, vintage-style pool table and video arcade games
Other areas that contributed to their ultimate total-living experience included:
- Living room: one entire wall was removed and replaced with a 22’ accordion wall of glass panels to provide access to the backyard pool area. A floor-to-ceiling feature wall with a fireplace, 80” TV screen and shelves to display art and collected treasures, including a full suit or armor and Medieval weaponry.
- Kitchen: elegantly and cost-effectively modernized by painting the cabinets to resemble a beautiful wood grain, adding new crown molding and door fronts with trendy stainless steel hardware.
- Courtyard: previously relegated to Jonathan’s dogs, Drew made it a personal project to convert the space into a charming Paris bistro-style patio with pavers, plants, original art and brightly-painted wrought iron furniture.
Click here to see behind-the-scenes shots of the main house renovation.
The “Home Away From Home” Guest House
So their parents can escape the cold Canadian winters and bask in the hot Las Vegas sun, Jonathan and Drew built a two-bedroom, two-bath guest house in the backyard for Mom and Dad. They took great pains to give it special touches, giving Mom a spa-style master bath, open-concept kitchen and handy laundry facilities.
For Dad, Drew created a replica of a coffee table his father had made when he and Jonathan were kids. The original had ranch brands burned into the top and it was a favorite “play station.” They hunted down branding irons of the same ranches Dad had worked in the past, and burned them into the new table. (The table was a big hit and mom cried happy tears when they toured the guest house.)
Travis Ogburn, franchise owner of Budget Blinds serving Las Vegas, concentrated on making the guest house the comfortable haven Jonathan and Drew wanted it to be for their parents, reflecting the ranch-style rustic simplicity they especially like. Roman shades donated by Horizons Window Fashions, a long-time manufacturing partner of Budget Blinds, were the ideal window treatment to manage light and privacy control. Jonathan declared, “The roman shades look killer!”
- In the living room, knife pleat roman shades in a neutral tone layered with patterned floor-to-ceiling drapes were the perfect backdrop for the overstuffed sofa and chairs, creating a “quiet, comfortable elegance with a warm blend of fabrics to make the room cozy.”
- The master bedroom and guest bedroom received knife pleat roman shades in room-coordinating colours so each room’s décor was uniquely refined.
Roman shades combine classic form with contemporary function:
- Many styles to choose from including balloon shades, hobbled, classic pleated, cascading fold and relaxed folds
- They come in a variety of elegant fabrics and colours
- Light-filtering and room-darkening options to suit your preference
- Shades provide energy-saving insulation, especially when layered with drapes
- Shades can be cordless or motorized, making them child-and pet-friendly
Behind new garage doors to ramp up curb appeal, Tailored Living provided custom garage cabinets and garage flooring, creating a “Garage Mahal” with floor-to-ceiling custom Silver Frost cabinets with Powder-Coated doors and stainless steel counter tops. PremierTrax garage floor tiles completed the transformation and Johnathan called PremierTrax “the nicest garage floor I’ve ever seen!”
Custom closet organization systems were installed in both bedrooms in the guest house, providing an enormous amount of storage in a relatively small place.
Both Budget Blinds and Tailored Living participants were in awe of the Splashtacular water slide, as is everyone who sees it. According to the supplier, this is the first-ever residential slide of such magnitude. Needless to say, Jonathan is so proud!
If you want to refresh, renew or reinvent your space, new window coverings can have a dramatic impact. Colour alone can change the mood of a room, and updating with new window treatments or mixing textures by layering drapes over blinds or shades can add vibrant energy to your home. Call 866-590-6341 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online at http://www.budgetblinds.ca to find a Style Consultant near you. A Budget Blinds professional Style Consultant will bring hundreds of samples to help you move from inspiration to enjoyment of your beautiful new windows.