Budget Blinds® is once again involved in a special project to give back to deserving members of the military and their families by joining in partnership with Designing Spaces’ Military Makeover, airing on Lifetime Television®. It’s a natural affiliation for several reasons:
- Designing Spaces is a foremost authority on home remodeling, decorating and design
- Budget Blinds is the largest window coverings franchise in North America, offering custom blinds, shutters, shades, drapery, curtains and more
- We believe supporting and honoring military veterans is an honor and a privilege
This special mini-series focuses on making life better, one military family at a time. It’s a labor of love and the host, retired United States Marine Corps Staff Sergeant R. Lee Ermey, “The Gunny”, oversees the process, keeping designers, decorators, landscapers and volunteers on schedule and on their toes: “Our theatre of operation is in full attack mode! No question about it, let’s get this operation moving!”
Over the next year, families of wounded military veterans will receive complete home makeovers, including custom window coverings from Budget Blind’s private label, Enlightened Style®. Additionally, professional measuring and installation services are provided by our franchise owners to ensure that every window in every room reflects beauty, functionality and efficiency.
Beauty and function meet need
Air Force Technical Sergeant Kevin Parke, his wife, Tiffany, and their five children are the recipients of this Military Makeover. On his second tour of duty, an Improvised Explosive Device (EID) took out the vehicle he was in, resulting in severe injuries to his back as well as causing traumatic brain injury. Pain killers are a daily routine for this decorated hero, and the gift of a home renovation will make a life-changing difference for him and his family.
Angela Sansom, franchise owner of Budget Blinds Serving the Emerald Coast, assisted Tiffany with window covering styles and colors to come up with the absolute perfect solution for every window. Tiffany chose versatile neutrals, including Crisp Linen, Dark Coal, Tweed, Mirage White and Desert Sand to create a palette compatible with their home furnishings and design style.
And since bedrooms are a more private domain, the older kids were invited to choose colors for their rooms.
- One child’s bedroom has celery green walls and black furniture. He picked black shades.
- Another wanted brown walls and brown shades, but Mom worked a compromise of brown shades and one matching accent wall in brown.
- Sparkling white cellular shades with blackout liner were chosen for the daughter’s room.
“Helping Tiffany get what she needed throughout her home was the ultimate goal. Child safety, energy-efficiency, room-darkening, easy care and durability were important to increase comfort and enjoyment for everyone. Coordinating their needs with gorgeous styles and colors to match rooms and please personalities was just the icing on the cake!” –Angela Sansom
Exceptional style by deliberate design
With five children, three cats and one dog, child safety, durability, and easy care were the recurring design themes. While Angela’s team installed the shades, Tracy Christman, Vice President of Vendor Alliance and style expert, talked with Art, co-host of Military Makeover, and elaborated on why cellular shades were chosen.
- Child safety was a major issue, so cordless lift shades keep the home free of dangling cords.
- Cellular shades can cover narrow to very wide windows.
- Both single- and double-cell cellular shades provide high-level energy efficiency, reducing heating and cooling bills.
- The uniform white backing gives a consistent look from the outside, without limiting color choices on the inside.
- The master bath shade was motorized with remote control for extra convenience and safety.
- Light control was important throughout the home for TSGT Parke, whose injuries left him with extreme light-sensitivity. Heavy light-blocking drapes in the master bedroom were replaced with more efficient and easy-to-operate room-darkening cellular shades.
- Tiffany loved that cellular shades are easy to keep clean with a feather duster or vacuum tool on low suction, and can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth.
The dining room received an extra special treat–our exclusive Latour TriLight® Shades, two shades in one with top-down/bottom-up operation for complete light and privacy control. On top, a sheer pleated shade allows for filtered light and a view when lowered. The bottom half is a light-blocking honeycomb shade. Shades can be adjusted for a split view, displaying half sheer and half opaque, or any setting in between.
Where does someone begin who wants new window coverings?
In answer to this question from Art, Tracy shared: “The best place to begin is a call to your local Budget Blinds Design Consultant! With a free, in-home consultation, we come to you. We’re the designers, the window consultants who can design your entire rooms according to what your needs are. Do you have children? What colors are you looking for? What are your objectives…energy efficiency…child safety? We’ll help you design any room from start to finish.”
If you’re ready for some makeover magic in your own home, call 866-879-9730 today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.budgetblinds.com to find the Style Consultant nearest you. Our wide range of styles, colors and finishes in blinds, shutters, shades and soft treatments including drapes, rugs and custom bedding guarantees that you’ll get the perfect result for every room in your home.
Tune in to Lifetime Television on March 17 at 7:00 a.m. (ET/PT) for the big reveal episode as the Parke family sees their new home for the first time. Check your local listings and set your DVR so you don’t miss any of the excitement!
To view the March 3 episode highlighting Budget Blinds, click here.