Beach Décor Window Coverings For The Joseph Family With Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
For the second time, Budget Blinds® and sister brands Tailored Living®, Concrete Craft®, and AdvantaClean® joined parent company, Home Franchise Concepts (HFC), in participation with HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to change the world of another deserving family. The Joseph family of Carson, California, received a completely renovated home that will change their lives, enabling them to continue their outreach activities to the homeless in their community.
Custom shades and elegant drapery from Budget Blinds helped create the coastal beach vibe throughout the Joseph’s new home
The transforming power of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
The 2020 relaunch of the iconic Extreme Makeover: Home Edition TV series introduced a new host, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), and an innovative design team, including designers Breegan Jane and Carrie Locklyn, and carpenter Darren Keefe who each bring individual strengths and expertise. Continuing the goal of extreme home renovations for deserving families that give of themselves to their communities, Carrie explains their design philosophy to arrive at the perfect new home: “The first thing we look at is what they need. To aid the lives of these hometown heroes and to help their families, not to mention their contribution toward their communities is our primary objective.”
Deon and Tosha Joseph and their three sons, Jordan and twins Xavier and Deon Jr., in happy anticipation of the miracle of their new home
For the Joseph family, this meant complete renovation, inside and out, maximizing the existing home:
- Raise sunken living room 11 inches, remove walls, and integrate kitchen, dining room, and living room.
- Convert the master bedroom to a Zen-spa love nest (Breegan’s happy goal.)
- Install closet organization systems from Tailored Living in the bedroom closets.
- Give the boys bedrooms that are suitable for their ages and personalities; put the twins into the bigger bedroom.
- Turn the huge, untapped backyard to functional living space with decorative concrete resurfacing by Concrete Craft.
- Outside of the home received a brand-new color, a new front porch, gabled front door, stone walkway, new garage door, and a resurfaced driveway from Concrete Craft.
- Increase energy efficiency with custom window coverings from Budget Blinds.
- Garage went from jumbled to family-friendly space with new washer and dryer, media room, and custom storage cabinets, epoxy floor, and automated overhead storage lifts from Tailored Living.
- Banish moisture and allergens for home safety with one years’ air duct cleaning and preventative maintenance from AdvantaClean.
Held together by love and duct tape
Deon and Tosha have been married for 22 years and with their three children, are involved in reaching out to the homeless people on Skid Row in Los Angeles. Deon is a police officer, known as “The Angel Cop” of Skid Row where he passes out hygiene packs that his family assembles in their garage. He hands out these packets as he encourages people with big hugs and help with everything from food and clothing to housing. Raised in a home where many children were fostered for 41 years of his parents’ 47-year marriage, the giving lifestyle is deeply ingrained. At home, he’s Mr. Patch-it versus Mr. Fix-it, but his duct tape and glue method of home repair for their ranch style home had finally reached crisis levels with moisture and mold causing allergies for his son, Xavier. As a thank you from the community, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition stepped in to give them the home they deserve, a modern resort-like beach house. Show host, Jesse, describes his vision for the home, “We want the house to be like the Malibu coast, but without the coastline, traffic, and celebrities.”
Home Franchise Concepts’ franchise brands work their magic
For Budget Blinds and its sister brands, participating in the home renovation was a labor of love. It was exciting to be part of such a life-changing event and local franchise owners, Home Office associates, and our vendor manufacturing partners contributed time, product, and expertise to help make the home amazing for this special family.
Franchise owners Tom and Vivian Oku of Budget Blinds of Palos Verdes and Manhattan Beach with the help of in-house installers transformed the home with neutral colors and organic materials for ultimate beauty and functionality in every room. The natural fiber woven wood window shades were the perfect complement to the beach theme, chosen for the family since the beach is Tosha’s favorite place and it’s where she and Deon first met. Imagine … real-life romance in window shades along with Somfy® motorization for ultimate convenience!
The extraordinary great room
Combining multiple little rooms created wide open spaces where the whole family can be together
- New windows are enhanced with natural fiber shades and drapery panels to control lighting and privacy.
- The light-filtering motorized shades can be programmed to automatically open and close to reduce glare and to enhance energy efficiency.
- Black Matte decorative drapery hardware and light fixtures tie in with the dark blue kitchen cabinets and for amazing contrast with the neutral colors and lighter wood tones.
What a difference a week makes; complete transformation to a light and airy beach resort Zen-spa love nest
- White drapery panels with blackout lining (not pictured) cover the sliding doors that open to the new hot tub area in the back yard.
- Touch-of-a-button control motorized woven wood shade above the bed has a room-darkening liner to control light day and night.
- Coordinating pillows, bench, and décor items add interesting textures and colors.
- Tailored Living installed a custom closet storage system in the shared walk-in closet for organized and efficient storage for both Deon and Tosha.
The smaller bedroom became bigger on style with trending colors and a beach-inspired theme from ceiling to floor
- Woven, natural fiber shades powered by Somfy motorization will control light and privacy in the bedroom day and night.
- New colors, rich wood tones, rugs, and a custom closet system eliminated any perception of a child’s room.
- Jordan’s response to seeing his personal space makeover: “This is actually real nice; way better than I expected! And the closet, a place to put my shoes instead of throwing them around. I’ve never had a TV in my room before. It’s nice to have a more mature room.”
Xavier and Deon, Jr.’s shared bedroom
Relocated to the bigger room, matching loft beds and desks maximize space and create a functional, comfortable room
- Motorized shades (not pictured) like those in Jordan’s room give light and privacy control for day and night comfort and draperies add a layer of softness and additional protection.
- Loft beds free up floor space for individual desks providing each of the boys with efficient working space for schoolwork and their own TVs.
- The reach-in closet was enlarged, and a custom closet organization system gave each boy useful storage space.
Move. That. Bus!
The family was moved out while all the work was underway and only returned when the house was complete and hidden behind the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition bus, awaiting the “Move. That. Bus!” moment when the family finally sees their new home. For the Josephs, this home hit all the right spots.
- “This is so perfect! It’s open, inviting, and says family.” –Deon
- “Are you kidding me? Look at my kitchen, look at my stove!” –Tosha
- “A home my wife can be proud of and safety for my kids.” –Deon
Jonathan Thiessen, HFC’s Chief Development Officer, made a special presentation to the family when everyone was gathered in the incredible backyard: “We have a program at Home Franchise Concepts called Heart & Home and it’s designed to give back to those that do great things and give back in their community. So, on behalf of HFC, we would like to give you $25,000 to continue with that.”
Everyone in the hot tub! The new backyard set up multiple activity areas to accommodate family get-togethers and entertaining friends
There are far too many memorable moments and quotes to share them all, but here are a few highlights:
- Ty Pennington, host of the original Extreme Makeover series, designed and created a custom Tiki bar countertop longboard (surfboard) for real island flair on the patio.
- Greg, a neighbor and friend, brought in a group from work to assemble 200+ hygiene packs for Deon to have for his ministry to the homeless.
- View more before-and-after photos of the complete Joseph’s home makeover: Transforming a Basic Ranch Into a Modern Beach Dream House.
Springtime refresh with new window coverings
If you’d like to brighten up your living spaces, new window treatments are the answer. Contact your local Budget Blinds to learn more about how we can help with custom blinds, shades, drapes, and more. In line with public health guidelines for safely sheltering in place, our local neighborhood experts can do it all virtually* for you—design, order, and set an appointment to install when the time is right. Call 877-503-5680 (US) or 866-973-2405 (CAN) or go online to https://budgetblinds.com/ to find the Budget Blinds design expert near you.
Catch new episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Sunday night at 8p|7c on HGTV as well as watch previous episodes at https://watch.hgtv.com/tv-shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.