Life can be super busy and there never seems to be enough time in the day. This makes giving your window blinds a deep cleaning a difficult task. You may be surprised to know that blinds accumulate dust for months on end which can make them harder to clean, causing major damage. It is crucial to clean your blinds on a regular basis to prevent health risks (like allergies) or having to frequently purchase new window treatments when they get too dirty. Budget Blinds® wants you to always have beautiful clean blinds, so they are offering some tips on how to properly clean your blinds without damage.
Easy Tips to Prevent Long-term Damage
Most of us use a cloth to clean our blinds, with a simple swipe and sometimes only cleaning the side people see the most. Oh come on, we all do it! But cleaning our blinds should be much more than that. To keep your blinds looking good for the long haul it is important to:
- Dust/vacuum your blinds at least once a month
- Add dusting your blinds into your normal cleaning routine
- Clean your blinds every time the seasons change
- Do a deep clean twice-a-year, especially before the holidays (Just in case your mother-in-law comes over wearing her white gloves)
Cleaning Wood Blinds
Cleaning real wood blinds differs from other materials, so it is important to use these tips so you don’t ruin the real wood.
- Use a soft cloth that is lightly sprayed with furniture polish or lemon oil and start dusting at the top, across each slat, all the way to the bottom
- Use mild detergent in tepid water on a clean cotton cloth if your wood blinds are badly soiled; make sure to rinse with clear water and dry with a cotton cloth immediately.
- Never let moisture stay on wood blinds
Cleaning Vertical Blinds
Vertical blinds are a little tougher to clean because of their floor-to-ceiling size. Yet, cleaning them during your normal housekeeping routine will keep them looking fresh year round.
- Dust or vacuum each side from top to bottom
- Use soapy water on a soft cloth for dirty spots for a deeper clean and then rinse
- For vinyl or aluminum blinds, place a towel underneath to eliminate spills and use soapy water and a sponge to wash both sides from the top to the bottom until they are fully clean
- Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry with a soft cloth
Cleaning Aluminum, Vinyl, Painted Wood and Faux Wood Blinds
Dusting your blinds:
There are plenty of ways to clean these types of blinds. The first is dusting, here are three techniques:
- Fully extend your blinds and close them as flat as possible. Starting from the top, clean across each slat, all the way to the bottom, using a soft dust cloth or feather duster. Then rotate the slats and repeat.
- Instead of using a cloth, you can use a sock. Place a clean sock on your hand, open the slats and run your hand back and forth across each slat, from top to bottom.
- Use specialty tools for cleaning the slats that allow you to clean several at the same time, on both sides.
Vacuum your blinds:
- Using the brush attachment, go over the slats from side to side from the top to the bottom
- Rotate the slats and repeat
- Lastly, wipe slats with a dryer sheet or spray an anti-static dust product to eliminate dust build up
If your blinds are just too dirty– aluminum or vinyl:
If you tried dusting and vacuuming and your blinds still need more work, try giving them a good bath! You will have to remove your blinds before you begin:
- Lay the blinds flat in your bathtub in enough water to just cover them, mix in two or three cups of white vinegar and a splash of dish soap
- Let the blinds soak for 5-10 minutes, then clean them off with a sponge
- For dirtier spots or crevices use a toothbrush to give a deeper clean
- Rinse off the blinds in fresh water and lay flat to drip dry, or use a clean cloth to immediately wipe the blinds dry
Taking time out of your schedule to clean your blinds with these easy tips will keep your blinds nice and glistening. But if it is too late to save your dirty blinds, Budget Blinds has got you covered! Budget Blinds has a variety of window coverings: blinds, shutters, shades, and drapery to update your home. Call 866-879-9730 today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation with a Style Consultant nearest you.