When was the last time you took a good look at your window treatments? Did you notice discoloration, wear and tear, or have trouble operating them? There are many factors that can damage window treatments such as sunlight, humidity, kids, pets, and age. If you installed new window treatments many years ago, there’s a good chance it’s about time to replace them.
Here are 5 signs it’s time for new window treatments:
1. Discoloration - After spending time in the sunlight and heat, window treatments can become discolored. Your white blinds might look yellow, which is a sign of material deterioration. Drapes might not look as vibrant as they used to. The color might fade or even change hues. This is a clear sign it’s time for a replacement.
2. Warped, bent, or broken slats - Obviously, if your blinds have any broken slats, it’s time for a replacement. Broken window treatments are never a good look. Heat and humidity can cause blinds to warp, causing both aesthetic and operational issues.
3. Difficult to operate - Window treatments aren’t a fancy high-tech device. It shouldn’t be difficult to use them. So if your window treatments are tough to use sliding up and down or left and right, then it’s time to replace them. If your blinds require a lot of force to raise or don’t raise at all, there are a couple possibilities. The mechanisms might be at risk of breaking or they are too wide so the cords cannot support the weight of the load.
4. Tears and frayed cords - If you are noticing tears or frays in the drapes, curtains, and shades, it’s a sign to replace them. Years of wear and tear can cause window treatments to damage. This is especially true if you have children and pets getting their hands and paws all over them.
5. Leaking light - If your blinds don’t close as tight as they used to, or don't close all the way, the mechanism has given out. To fix this problem, it requires re-cording the whole blinds. It’s unlikely you want to spend the time doing that, so it’s better to replace the whole unit. Thankfully, Budget Blinds will do that for you so you don’t have to lift even a finger.
BONUS: One last bonus sign is getting new windows! It might be tempting to put old window treatments on new windows to save a few dollars, but that is not recommended. Because old window treatments are fit to those specific windows, you won’t have a perfect fit. If you’re replacing our windows, it’s a good time to replace the window treatments too.
If you are having any of these issues on a product from Budget Blinds, give us a call. We offer an excellent warranty and one of our representatives would be more than happy to help.
Budget Blinds of Bettendorf serves all of the quad cities areas including Davenport, Moline, Bettendorf, Rock Island, Le Claire, Port Byron, Geneseo, Eldridge and much more. We are a national franchise that is locally owned and operated. We bring you quality products at competitive prices with the best service around. Just give us a call at 563-324-1111 for your FREE in-home consultation. We look forward to hearing from you.